Tuesday 21 October 2014

Wind instrument

At the session last night in the Bridge Inn at Audlem, John played the recorder as though it were a penny whistle. It's hard enough to play that sort of Irish and Scottish music on the whistle, but doubly difficult, I think, on the recorder. I enjoyed listening to the recorder player on Young Musician of the Year, and I've got some excellent baroque recorder music at home, but you don't often find someone using the instrument to play the sort of stuff we got last night. An excellent evening! Lots of musicians, and a whole range of instruments.

The hurricane hadn't hit by the time we went to bed, but the wind certainly got up this morning. I wasn't worried about our pram hood, since it had coped fine with last winter's gales. However, it catches the broadside wind, which as a result tends to rock Erin Mae. Even my sprung mooring lines can't do much about that. But the sky is proving immensely changeable today. One moment it's grey and looming, blowing like crazy and chucking down the wet stuff, and the next the sun is streaming through our windows.


In view of the wind, I took our new chimney off last night. I wasn't afraid of the chimney itself blowing off, but its hat is a different matter. Without the hat, rain gets down the chimney, so I thought I'd keep it simple by removing everything and putting on the cover made from an old tin painted nice Erin Mae Green. Anyway, our experience is that if the cover is left loose on the roof, just tied with string, it becomes an instrument itself in a storm – but in the percussion not the wind section.

0 comments:

Post a Comment