Tuesday 27 September 2011

Read the map!

You don't need the Nicholson's guide to come down the four locks in Stone, which we did first thing yesterday. So we continued on our way with it still on the shelf, and got to Aston lock rather quicker than expected. Coming round the corner at a gentle pace appropriate for passing the moored boats that occupied our interest, I suddenly found myself also passing Bruce holding Sanity Again on the centre line while Sheila was with the other windlass-workers around the lock – they were themselves second in line to go down. So with hurried apologies for what may have seemed like a lack of manners, but was really a lack of attention, I stopped (glad I was going so slow) and got a bit of practice in going in reverse in the right direction without damaging anyone's paintwork.

While we awaited our turns I was able to ask Bruce about Erin Mae's own paintwork. I don't think she's had any polish or other attention for quite a while, and steel body and paintwork (car or boat) has never been in my comfort range of "things I can do". So, as with everything, it was good to get some advice. One thing to get it, of course, another to follow the instructions.

It's a bit like my wrist, which is still pretty painful. Taking the pills at the right time to dull the pain enough so you can do what the physio tells you – all a bit of a challenge. Working around 60 locks over the last 11 days doesn't seem to have substituted properly for those exercises where you allow the weight of a hammer to turn your wrist over – ouch! Today, back in Christchurch, Tom the physio told me I should expect it to be taking this time (thanks, Tom!). So I'll go see what the doctor says about the pills. In regard to the body, as to life in general, it seems that following the maker's instructions is no bad thing. Then maybe we can do some more boating in this Indian summer the gurus are prophesying.

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    We didn't get a chance to finish our conversation so:

    I was suggesting using 3M's Finesse It polishing compound to see if you could cut the chalking back to better looking colour. I would then follow up by polishing with Craftmaster Carnauba Wax, which is formulated for polishing boat paint rather than two pack automotive paint.

    At least one manufacturer of boat paints doesn't recommend T-cut, because a) it contains ammonia and b) is too harsh for the comparatively soft paint finish.

    Hope this helps

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete