Wednesday 14 October 2015

Autumn's song


Autumn’s song is sung again
     greenleaf shoot is dying back
          bramble bows with succulent black
Life in metamorphosis
     nor thrust of spring
          nor summer buzz

Autumn

Life or death or something else?
     falling leaves tell one tale
          harvesters another
Fruit is ripe but sap is slow
     air is chill, the sun is cold
         rain foreshadows harsher things

Autumn

Ripening will have its price
     fruitfulness will take its toll
          for tree, for leaf, for me…
Autumn is ambiguous
     produce on the bending bough
          back bowed in bearing

Autumn

“But I trust in you, O Lord
     I say, ‘You are my God’
          My times are in your hands”
May every season be fulfilled
     in sweetness, joy and thankfulness
          a task complete, a race well run

Autumn

0 comments:

Post a Comment