Tuesday 7 April 2015

Magnets

After what seems like years of deliberations, I've taken some final decisions about solar power for Erin Mae and started ordering. The first bits arrived today – four of these:


They are car-roof magnets, normally used for attaching signs to a car roof, but I did my calculations and reckon they should do just fine for attaching a hefty solar panel to Erin Mae's top. Each is 53 x 79 mm, with an M6 bolt. The 12 mm magnet is covered in polyurethane, which both protects the paintwork and increases shear force.

From the start of this project I'd been nervous about drilling the roof to attach the panel, even though many boaters will have done that with great success. When I mentioned to a solar panel supplier what I was hoping to do, he expressed some surprise, because he'd never heard of anyone doing it before. I hope eventually to report that the experiment has been a complete success.

We shall see! Meanwhile it's nice to have my hands on the first parts of the system.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting, magnets do have a certain attraction .....

    We were both very pleased to notice two posts ago that you are going to do the Leeds and Liverpool this year, that is our target for 2016. I was born and brought up in Foulridge on the summit section (mum still lives there) so it holds a particular place in my heart. We are very much looking forward to following your journey along it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a feeling we may have to do it several times – once in July to explore, again in August with the Norwegian kids, and then back again if we're going to get home by the eastern route!

      Delete
  2. I look forward to discovering what solar system you have gone for. Magnets seem a good idea - my panels rely mostly on gravity alone. I have some string for back-up in case of high winds but it's not the best solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll detail the bits and pieces as they arrive. I looked back on your blog to see your arrangement, and it will be similar, but with one larger panel. I'm relieved you've so far found gravity enough, since it implies that my magnets should suffice. Not sure about string!

      Delete